Nextdoor is a free social networking service that connects people in neighborhoods and nearby neighborhoods. It’s a way to connect with neighbors online that you may not otherwise know. Along with putting names to faces, neighbors are using the service to report safety issues, items for sale (or free), missing pets, and to discuss services and other community issues. It is easy and free to sign up:
- Go to http://www.nextdoor.com
- Enter your home address and email address then click “Find Neighborhood”
- Your neighborhood name will appear, as well as the number of neighbors using Nextdoor (on right).Enter your first and last name and a password. Select “Female” “Male” or “Other” and click Sign Up button.
- You will be given choices to verify your account. The first choice, “Verify by phone” is easy and you don’t have to talk to anyone. Enter your phone number (Nextdoor states that they won’t save/use for solicitation) and click “Call Now”. When you hit “Call Now” your screen changes to a code to enter once you receive the call. Other choices are to verify with a credit card or the last 4 digits of your social security number.
- You also have to reply to an email to verify your email account.
- You are now a member. There are easy steps to add a photo and information to your profile, but you may view posts and use the service without doing so.